Lets Get Started
1. The first thing we want to do is create a new document with the dimensions of 500×500.
2. To start our icon we want to use our Rectangle Marquee Tool (M) to create a square similar to the following to create the “front”‘ of our box icon. Hold SHIFT while creating your square to make all sides equal.
3. On your newly created layer insert the following blending options. To do this right click your layer in the Layers Palette and choose Blending Options from the drop down menu.
4. To create the side of our box, use your Polygonal Lasso Tool (L) to create a selection similar to the following and fill it with #04407E. To keep your angles straight, hold SHIFT while placing your next point (you could also perform the same task with the Pen Tool).
5. Insert the following blending options onto your newly created layer:
6. The last step for creating the box is to use our Rectangle Marquee Tool (M) to create a selection similar to the following and fill it with #000000. Place this layer under all your other layers.
7. Add the following blending options to its layer:
8. The final step is adding text to our icon. The font Adobe uses for their icons is not licensed. It is called Adobe Clean, and is only available if you work for Adobe. So for this tutorial, we will use something very close to their font choice, which is Myriad Pro. Place the text “Ps” on a layer and make sure the type is set to Semibold.
9. The last thing we need to do is add blending options to our text layer. Add the following:
10. When it’s all said and done your final icon will look something like the following. If you have any questions or comments we would love to hear them.
This was written by Matthew Heidenreich